Tuesday, December 2, 2014

A Love, Hate Relationship with South East Asia

Being a travel addict, I read a lot of travel articles. They inspire me, help me re-live certain experiences and give me good ideas for my next trip. In all that I have read so far, there is one phrase in particular that has really stuck with me; if you you do not like where you are or what you are doing, etc...change what you like. 

It works. And it's practical for every day life but especially so when traveling. There are so many curve balls that will be thrown at you and they can really make or break your trip if you aren't able to change your perspective or adjust your attitude. I for one have to admit I struggle with this. I am now, much better than before but it can be hard to quiet the demons in our brains that try to prevent us from enjoying the experience for what it is.  

There were many things that pissed me off or irritated the hell out of me (and still do).  It's hot and humid as hell. It's dirty, it's loud, there are bugs everywhere, the traffic is insane and it smells. So when I was having a moment of anger or frustration and feeling extremely conflicted because I wanted to be happy and not mad, I was reminded by a little voice in my head that said, "change what you like." 

I draft this message sitting at the bar of my hotel in Siem Reap. I've been alone for much of the trip and while I enjoy solo travel, I have to say there have been quite a few moments and hours of loneliness. So therefore, plenty of time to think and get lost in my thoughts. On the tuk tuk ride from the airport to the hotel I was reflecting as I only have a few days left. What have been the highlights? And what will they be after the next couple of days? I couldn't wait, so I decided to start writing them now. 

1. The cooking class in Bangkok. I absolutely loved the entire experience. From getting picked up in an air conditioned van, to the shopping at the market which was the cleanest one I visited and that it was all produce from local farmers if possible. My classmates where a hoot and given that I'd been alone for 3 days at that point I welcomed the chance to talk to anyone with whom I could have a full conversation with. And of course the food, it was delicious.  I'm looking forward to re-creating them at home. 

2.  Having dinner and Thai whiskey with the locals. Taking a tuk tuk to who knows where, 30 mins outside of Bangkok. While driving there I'm thinking to myself, what the hell am I doing? What would my friends and family think?  "That is dangerous, Diana." That's what they'd say. Or careless maybe. Well, I didn't think so, nor did I care and as it turns out, it was just fine. 

3. Swimming in the Andaman Sea.  Have you seen the movie The Beach? Yeah, ahem I was there. It's a little slice of sticky heaven. 

4. Sitting on the balcony of a Cambodian flat with three German expats drinking beer and talking mostly American, but world politics. 

I don't know that I can change what I like. But I am thankful that at least I can find tolerance and adaptability to be able to truly enjoy what this magnificent place on earth really has to offer. 

So for now and for the next four days I will like:
- having sweat run down my ass with out doing anything remotely physical
- the smell of urine in the street
- mosquito bites and the relentless itching they cause me
- excessively loud club music and street noise
- having to squat over a hole in the ground to relieve Mother Nature and discovering there is no toilet paper, you have to buy it (and be sure not to throw the tissue in the toilet, please use the trash can)

I do not like these things. I do not like them at all. But I suspect that after I'm home and the jet lag has worn off, I shall miss these things very much. Because you don't get Thailand and Cambodia without them. Yes, I'm sure I will miss them very much indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment